If you’ve ever been goat watching, you may have noticed that these creatures have some interesting behaviors. One of the most curious behaviors is when a goat follows you. Many people wonder what this means and if it’s just a coincidence.
Let’s take a closer look at what it means when a goat follows you.
Why Do Goats Follow People?
There could be a few reasons why a goat follows you. Some experts believe that goats are curious animals and this may be why they follow you. Other experts believe that goats may see humans as potential herd leaders, which is why they follow you.
Let’s look at some common reasons why a goat might follow you.
- They’re curious about you – Goats are social creatures and they’re always interested in meeting new people (or animals). If you stop and talk to the goat, it may just be that the goat is trying to get to know you. Goats are intelligent animals and they may be trying to figure out what kind of person you are.
- They’re looking for food – Goats are notorious for being escape artists. If they see something that they think is food – or if they smell something that smells like food – they’ll likely try to get to it. This means that if you’re carrying treats or if you’ve been working in the garden, there’s a chance that your goat may try to follow you in the hopes of getting a snack.
- They think you have food – Even if you don’t have any food on you, your goat may still try to follow you around. This is because goats are smart enough to know that humans often have food (even if we don’t always share). So, if your goat is following you around and acting especially needy, chances are good that they’re hoping you’ll give them a treat.
- They’re bored – Just like humans, goats can get bored from time to time. If there’s nothing else for them to do and no other animals for them to socialize with, chances are good that your goat will start following you around in an attempt to alleviate their boredom. Thankfully, this problem is easily solved by providing your Goat with some toys or by letting them out into the pasture where they can roam freely for a while.
- They want attention – It’s not uncommon for animals – including goats – to demand attention from their owners when they feel neglected. If your Goat is following you around and acting especially clingy, it could be because they feel like they’re not getting enough attention from you and they’re hoping to change that.
- They want to play – Many goats enjoy playing games with their owners (especially if those games involve treats). If your Goat starts following you around and trying to keep up with whatever it is you’re doing, chances are good that they’re just trying to engage in some fun playtime with their favorite human companion.
Another possible reason is that the goat sees you as a potential leader. Goats are herd animals and they often see humans as potential leaders since we tend to be the ones who care for them and make decisions on their behalf. So, if your goat is following you around, it could be because they perceive you as a leader or alpha figure in their life.
Goats Following People in Chinese Folklore
According to ancient Chinese lore, if a goat follows you it means that good fortune is coming your way. This belief is based on the Chinese zodiac in which the goat is associated with prosperity, serenity, and good luck. If you have been visited by a goat, it means that you are about to embark on a period of good luck and fortune.
This old wives tale originated from the fact that goats are often considered to be symbols of fertility. In many cultures, the birth of a baby is considered to be a time of great joy and abundance. As such, it is no wonder that the goat has come to be associated with good luck and fortune. If you are currently experiencing difficulty in your life, it is said that the goat’s visit will bring you relief and happiness.
Goats are also said to be very intelligent creatures. They are able to solve problems and adapt to their environment quickly. This intelligence is said to represent the potential for success in whatever venture you may undertake. If you have been having trouble making decisions or finding solutions to problems, the goat’s visit signifies that things will soon start going your way.
In Chinese culture, the goat is also seen as a protector of children. If there is a young child in your life who has been having difficulty, it is said that the goat’s presence will help them overcome their challenges. The goat’s visit is a sign that they will soon be able to lead a happy and prosperous life.
There is no denying that having a goat follow you can be an amusing and endearing experience. If it’s happened to you before, then chances are good that you have fond memories of this interaction. While the reasons for a goat following you may vary, one thing is clear: it is usually a sign of good luck and prosperity to come in your life.
Whether you are facing challenges or simply looking to enjoy more success, having a goat watch over you can be an inspiring experience that brings hope and happiness.